The Midwest is currently struggling through a major winter storm that has dumped as much as 8″ of snow as it continues on it’s way towards the Northeast. Here in the mountains of Tennessee the rain is falling heavily, accompanied by winds up to 35 mph with dropping temperatures promising to turn it all to ice and snow later today. I can almost guarantee that bread and milk are completely sold out at local grocery store as this happens every time there is a call for snow. So if you are in the path of this storm were you/are you ready for it? If the storm blocks the roads and knocks out power, are you ready?
- Do you have at least 1/2 tank of fuel in each vehicle?
- Do you have extra fuel stored in cans?
- Are your tires in good shape?
- Do you have candles, lanterns, flashlights or other means of lighting?
- Do you have extra batteries?
- Have you tested your generator?
- Do you have a way to heat your home? Extra fuel?
- Do you have plenty of food and water to ride out the storm?
If you have to travel, do you have emergency supplies in your vehicle?
- Extra clothes, boots, gloves, hats
- Survival candles, matches, lighters
- Survival blankets, hand warmers
- Kitty litter, ice melt, tow chain, jumper cables, shovel
- Cell phone charger
- Bottled water, snacks
- Knife – always have a knife
- Do you have alternative routes if some roads are closed?
Just a few thoughts on what you should have prepared (if you didn’t) and what to have ready for next time. Here, we’ll be riding out the storm watching movies, even if the power goes out. Be safe out there!
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.